Dr Anita Parbhakar-Fox | Sustainable Minerals Institute, The University of Queensland
- Avoiding catastrophic failure through monitoring and containment
- Tailings repurposing that results in a step change in existing tailings volumes
- Step changes in the characterization, extraction and processing of material in the production of Tailings volume.
Title: RETAIL: Reducing tailings volume through advanced characterisation, mineral processing, modelling and improved waste management
- Sustainable Minerals Institute, The University of Queensland
- RMIT University
- Curtin University
- University Technology Sydney
- University of Melbourne
- University College London
- METS Partners: EXIGE, LOUPE, CGG, SciAps, AMOTUS, Olympus and others TBA
- Open to partners
Offering to sponsors:
A build-your-own program tailored to suit mine site requirements. RETAIL breathes life back into old sites as well as helps new sites reduce their environmental footprints.
This is a five-module program with a focus on redesigning the mine flowsheet.
The project examines:
- designing and embedding new characterisation methodologies using new technologies
- adapting mineral processing technologies to create leaner waste streams and retrieve more value from traditional non-recoverable fractions (processing less and smarter)
- reducing water and energy consumption
- business opportunities and additional income streams, including construction and untapped markets such as using recovered clays to build affordable sustainable housing
- developing tools to help mine sites implement the changes.
The five modules are underpinned by commitments to environmental excellence, and water and energy management.
A project objective is also to embed better practice into future generations.
Benefit to industry:
- The opportunity to reduce existing environmental footprint
- If widely adopted, the RETAIL program could become an example of stewardship.
Recordings of each submission are available to Members Only. Please click on the link below to request access to the recordings and nomination form.