Real-time tailings monitoring using the latest fibre-optic sensors
Project Number: P1287
Status: Open to sponsors
Amira Program Manager: Silvia Black
The project will use the latest fibre-optic sensing technology integrating three technologies (DTS, DSS and DAS) inside one cable. Temperature, strain and acoustic/seismic are monitored in real time to assure the integrity of tailings dams (TSF). The technology allows direct imaging with improved spatial resolution and large volumetric coverage – a combination that cannot be achieved with conventional sensors.
The primary objective of this research proposal is to demonstrate how fibre-optic sensing technologies incorporating seepage, seismic imaging and strain monitoring in a single real time platform facilitate the analysis of integrity of TSF walls and adjacent tailings.
- Assess and validate the applicability of the fibre-optic technology to tailings dams.
- Progress technology from prototype demonstration (TRL 6) to full system proven in operations (TRL 9).
- Demonstrate that the technology provides the early and reliable indicators of internal erosion or changes within TSF walls.
- Provide staff internships, and develop the future workforce through PhDs and postdocs.
This 3-year project builds on research by Sisprobe’s founders, who are lead academics in the field. Sisprobe experts in Australia and France collaborate with Silixa (UK) and HydroResearch (Sweden).
Major sponsors who provide a TSF site for study will benefit from:
- Rapid adoption of the new technology
- Training of staff (geotechnical engineers) via 2-month internships
- Contact with PhD students researching TSF monitoring
- Installation of permanent monitoring systems.
Key deliverables to sponsors are:
- Reports on the performance on fibre-optic-based TSF monitoring
- Access to new knowledge and technology developed to monitor in real time the integrity of tailings dams
- Technical training and education workshops, training of mine site staff and development of the future workforce
- Priority access to all project technology at discounted rate.
Additional long-term benefits to industry, governments and the community are:
- Advancement and support for the higher education community
- Training of the future generations of professionals
- Wide dissemination of the latest knowledge.
For more information please contact Program Manager Silvia Black at email@example.com