Real-time tailings monitoring using the latest fibre-optic sensors
Project Number: P1287
Status: Open to sponsors
Amira Program Manager: Silvia Black
The project will use the latest fibre-optic sensing technology integrating three technologies (DTS, DSS and DAS) inside one cable. Temperature, strain and acoustic/seismic are monitored in real time to assure the integrity of tailings dams (TSF). The technology allows direct imaging with improved spatial resolution and large volumetric coverage – a combination that cannot be achieved with conventional sensors.
The primary objective of this research proposal is to demonstrate how fibre-optic sensing technologies incorporating seepage, seismic imaging and strain monitoring in a single real time platform facilitate the analysis of integrity of TSF walls and adjacent tailings.
- Assess and validate the applicability of the fibre-optic technology to tailings dams.
- Progress technology from prototype demonstration (TRL 6) to full system proven in operations (TRL 9).
- Demonstrate that the technology provides the early and reliable indicators of internal erosion or changes within TSF walls.
- Provide staff internships, and develop the future workforce through PhDs and postdocs.
Major sponsors who provide a TSF site for study will benefit from:
- Rapid adoption of the new technology
- Training of staff (geotechnical engineers) via 2-month internships
- Contact with PhD students researching TSF monitoring
- Installation of permanent monitoring systems.
Key deliverables to sponsors are:
- Reports on the performance on fibre-optic-based TSF monitoring
- Access to new knowledge and technology developed to monitor in real time the integrity of tailings dams
- Technical training and education workshops, training of mine site staff and development of the future workforce
- Priority access to all project technology at discounted rate.
Additional long-term benefits to industry, governments and the community are:
- Advancement and support for the higher education community
- Training of the future generations of professionals
- Wide dissemination of the latest knowledge.
For more information please contact Program Manager Silvia Black at email@example.com