Projects Seeking Sponsorship
Spent Pot Liner (SPL) Sustainable Product Development project
Project Number: P1234
Status: Seeking Expressions of Interest
Amira Project Manager: Fabian Goddard
The aim of the Spent Pot Liner (SPL) Sustainable Product Development project is to convert aluminium smelting hazardous Spent Pot Liner or Spent Cell Liner waste product into safe, stable, non-toxic material.
This 3-year project delivers value by:
- Re-purposing SPL by developing revenue generating by-products for feedstock into new and existing downstream processes
- Reducing cost of SPL storage, transportation, treatment and disposal
- Reducing ongoing liabilities associated with current SPL management practices
- Promoting the concept of circular economy to benefit the environment, assist other industries and add to a company’s ESG, CSR and social license credentials, while addressing ICMM’s 10 Principles to support Sustainable Development
The project aims to make SPL 100% inert, by developing a process that recovers hydrogen, methane and ammonia as commercially viable products, whereas gases like hydrogen sulphide, phosphegne and phosphene will be neutralized in process. Flourides and cyanide will be treated chemically and converted to suitable products that are usable and sale-able.
By-product generation includes Carbon fraction, Aluminium Salts, Refractory Materials, Aluminium Metal, Hydrogen Gas, Nitrogen Gas and producing an inert product that has no limitations on transportation which can be widely accepted in cement, refractory brick and steel industry.
The benefits from sponsoring this project include:
- Major sponsor companies will receive
- Detailed analysis of their SPL waste
- Pilot scale plant preliminary conceptual design, made specifically to suit their needs and recover these commercially valuable gases
- Minor Sponsors will have access to basic process flow to recover these gases and make their SPL inert