Baotang Shen, Binzhong Zhou |CSIRO
- Avoiding catastrophic failure through monitoring and containment
- Tailings repurposing that results in a step change in existing tailings volumes
Project title: Safe disposal of tailings in abandoned mine voids
Offering to sponsors:
The project offers a new, cost-effective technology that will eliminate concerns about tailing dam stability and chemical leaching on the surface.
The proposal is to dispose tailings into mine voids in a safe and environmentally friendly manner. The tailings would be monitored during placement and settlement using new geophysical technology.
Benefit to industry:
- Safe replacement of dirt and tailings
- Improves the stability of mine voids
- Avoids subsidence and caving Eliminates potential for surface leaching
- Reduce or eliminate the cost maintaining tailings dams
- One-off cost of replacement in the mine voids
Recordings of each submission are available to Members only. Please click on the link below to request access to the recordings and nomination form.